Thursday, April 7, 2016

Get to know... Karen George of Galen Glen

1. Which winery do you work for and how long have you worked there?

I’ve worked for Galen Glen for at least 15 years.

2. What is your favorite wine that your winery makes, and why? What do you like to pair it with?

That changes from year to year, season to season, day to day. My fave at the moment is Gruner Veltliner.  Or is it Gewurztraminer?  I just made one of my specialties the other night, smoked salmon pasta with GV. If I am heading out for Mexican or sushi, I choose  my best friend Gewurz.

3. What is the most popular question you get asked by visitors about Lehigh Valley wine or wineries, and how do you answer it?

How do I get your job? I am actually related to Galen, so I was coerced into working here! I have a very stressful real job, so this is my "fun" job. You meet the sweetest, sincerest, silliest people on the wine bar.

4. What do you like most about local, Lehigh Valley wine and wineries?

I think it is great that we are so lucky to have vineyards in our backyards. I am ALL about being sustainable and supporting local agriculture. It has also been great watching them grow. Look out Finger Lakes: PA is coming to get you! I have many people tell me they no longer travel to the Finger Lakes for wine. The wine here is better and they can save on drive time and drink local wine instead.

5. What is the one piece of advice you offer to wine lovers traveling along the Lehigh Valley Wine Trail?

I always advise them to try the vineyard’s specialty, what they are best known for. I also advise trying something outside their comfort zone, outside the box. If you ONLY drink red, try a new white that you are unfamiliar with. You just might like it! If you ONLY drink sweet wines, try a bit drier wine since your palate might be maturing or changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment