Friday, February 26, 2016

Get to know... Kathy Matson of Galen Glen Winery

We're excited to begin a new occasional blog series introducing you to the many staff members at our wineries.

We're kicking it off with Kathy Matson, Tasting Room Manager, at Galen Glen Winery in Andreas.

1.     Which winery do you work for and how long have you worked there?

Galen Glen Winery. About five years total, almost three years full time.  I was a long-time customer desiring Karen's job before that.

2.     What is your favorite wine that your winery makes, and why? What do you like to pair it with?

That's like asking me which of my children is the favorite; I know the answer, but telling might be hurtful to the other! It's a toss up between Gruner Veltliner and Gewurztraminer. Gewurztraminer is what made me a "regular" at the winery as I love Asian and Indian BYO restaurants in the Valley. Gruner is amazing with asparagus and I could eat asparagus every day, so Gruner would be my "every day" wine.

3.     What is the most popular question you get asked by visitors about Lehigh Valley wine or wineries, and how do you answer it?

After "what's your favorite wine?" it would be, "Where else can I get your wine?" Since we are not in the PA state stores, I mention they can enjoy our wines at over 60 restaurants in PA and surrounding areas and that we are the only PA wine on the menu at Wegman's Pub in Allentown. I then tell them how I no longer have cart rage when shopping now that I can have a glass of wine and a yummy meal first.

4.     What do you like most about local, Lehigh Valley wine and wineries?

I like living in an AVA (American Viticultural Area). That's amazing to me.  I don't need to board a plane or take a long car ride to visit an AVA. It's right here... pretty impressive!

5.     What is the one piece of advice you offer to wine lovers traveling along the Lehigh Valley Wine Trail?

My advice is do your research. When you plan to visit a winery, check out their website. See what they offer, what wines they grow and produce, their upcoming events, and more. Also, I'd recommend two other things: Leave your cologne and perfume at home. They affect your ability to truly smell wine aromatics and taste effectively. The other thing would be don't wear white - it can unnerve the best server - plus if you are anything like me, a splash of red wine or food is sure to find its way onto your outfit by the end of the day.

1 comment: