The eight wineries of the Lehigh Valley Wine Trail will present a new event called Wine in Bloom this weekend Saturday, May 21 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., and Sunday, May 22 from noon – 5 p.m. It will be a fun and educational event that celebrates bud break on the vines and the growing season.
Wine in Bloom also highlights the importance that terroir (soil) plays in the development of the grapes, their flavor and the resulting taste of the wine, and stresses the importance of the A.V.A. designation (American Viticultural Area) in further legitimizing the Lehigh Valley for wine making. Each winery will offer its own variety of activities, from vineyard tours and food and wine pairings, to live entertainment and even a scavenger hunt.
• Amore Winery in Nazareth will celebrate Wine in Bloom with a Strawberry Festival featuring strawberry wine paired with a variety of mild cheese, mixed white chocolate treats, and assorted strawberry deserts.
• Big Creek Winery in Kresgeville will be pairing their dry white Seyval with corn chowder a' la Seyve Villard.
• Blue Mountain Winery in New Tripoli is sampling a selection of our wines paired with gourmet cheeses to compliment them. Visitors can also show off their singing talents at the first ever Rob-aoke, live karaoke with Rob on Saturday from 1-4 p.m. playing guitar and backing up any willing participants that have a favorite song they’d like to showcase. Sunday is Sangria Sunday from 2-5 p.m., with live entertainment by Leechboy. Admission is $5.
• Clover Hill Vineyards in Breinigsville will be hosting their annual scavenger hunt. Check in any time during the day in the tasting room they we will set visitors up with the scavenger hunt details. Whoever finishes the hunt with the correct answers gets a prize.
• Franklin Hill Vineyards in Bangor will offer tastings and tours of their facility, as well as music on the deck. Cheese plates from Klein's Farm will be available for purchase, and guests are welcome to walk around the vineyards and see how the vines have developed for the new vintage. There will also be specials.
• Galen Glen Winery in Andreas will be sampling the new Berry Pom-A- Rita Wine Slushy. All natural with the tart, sweet flavor of pomegranate and blueberry blended with wine and ice. See the vineyard in bloom on tractor & wagon tours of the vineyard and wine cellar. Free tours depart at 1, 2, 3 & 4 p.m.
• Pinnacle Ridge Winery celebrates with free tours of their estate vineyard. Tours will depart on the hour from 1 - 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Along with their regular wine tastings, they’ll also be pairing asparagus baked in phyllo dough and the 2010 Riesling using asparagus freshly harvested from the Pinnacle Ridge family garden. Sunday kicks off the summer 2011 season Sunday Jazz with Skip Moyer from 3 to 6 p.m. $5 cover charge.
• Vynecrest Winery in Breinigsville will continue their 2011 Winemaker Tour series on Saturday at 1 p.m. for $5 per person. This tour is titled "Bud Break." Reservations are suggested. In addition, they will feature Art's Acoustic Oldies in the Vyneskeller from 1-4:30 p.m. - no cover charge.