Things are starting to come alive at Vynecrest, both inside and out. Inside we have music in the Vyneskeller every Saturday from 1 to 4:30 pm. Outside, the vines have been pruned and the buds are starting to burst open. It's a great time of year to visit the vineyard.
Five wines received medals from the 2011 Pennsylvania Wine Competition:
- Dry Riesling - Gold Medal
- Traminette - Silver Medal
- Autumn Gold - Silver Medal
- Riesling - Bronze Medal
- Vynecrest White - Bronze Medal
Wine of the month - Pinot Grigio, 10% off**
3 Pack of the Month - 3 Chardonnay for $35**
** at winery only; 3 pack specials not to be combined with other offers
- May 7 - Music in the Vyneskeller, Arianne Rox
- May 14 - Music in the Vyneskeller , Connie Edinger
- May 21 & 22 - Wine in Bloom, Lehigh Valley Wine Trail event. Vynecrest will continue their 2011 Winemaker Tour series on Saturday at 1pm for $5 per person. This tour is titled "Bud Break." Reservations suggested. In addition, we will feature Art's Acoustic Oldies in the Vyneskeller from 1-4:30pm (no charge).
- May 28 - Music in the Vyneskeller, Andy Warren & Dan Harakal
Music is from 1 to 4:30 p.m., free admission
Winter was kind to the grapevines this year. We did not have any winter damage. Other parts of the state saw a few nights well below zero and some damage to the vines.
We planted another 1.5 acres of grapes this year, Cabernet Franc, Lemberger & Riesling. It will be 3 years before we can harvest fruit from these new plantings.
Over the next few weeks we will try to keep up with the constantly growing grass and monitor the weather and humidity so we know when to spray to prevent any disease from occurring.
Here's hoping for another vintage like 2010!